GPVEC Elective Frequently Asked Questions
How does the application process work?
- Create an account
- Notify recommending faculty member they will be contacted immediately prior to your clinical year to verify that you are a student in good standing and eligible to participate in GPVEC elective(s).
- You will receive an automated email upon verification.
- When open enrollment begins, you will be notified to login to your account and select electives.
- Electives will be confirmed via email notification.
- Plan to attend
Any veterinary student attending an AVMA accredited college of veterinary medicine who may be interested in participating in an exceptional hands-on clinical experience.
Click on the Student Elective menu, Elective Registration and enter your contact information along with specific areas of interest. You will be notified via email when it is time to select electives.
(If you need to update your account, you can login at any time)
An account can be created at any time between your admission to veterinary school and graduation. However, students will typically want to create an account prior to their junior year in veterinary school. Freshman and sophomore students are encouraged to create an account to be notified via email in their junior year when open enrollment begins.
Verification is performed when a faculty member from your school confirms that you are an enrolled veterinary student in good standing in your clinical year and eligible to participate in GPVEC Elective(s).
Any faculty member from your home institution who can verify you are an enrolled veterinary student in good standing.
Currently there are no fees to take the course, however there is a residence hall fee of $100 USD per week. Payment must be made at the time of check-in or shortly thereafter. GPVEC does not accept credit card payments. Checks should be made payable to the University of Nebraska-GPVEC.
The following items are recommended for all electives:
- Two pair of coveralls
- Overshoes or rubber boots
- Food and personal items (e.g. shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.)
Specific items needed for an elective, if any, will be listed in the course description
- Free wireless internet access
- Free parking
- Free laundry facilities (students responsible for own laundry supplies)
- Kitchenettes are equipped with a coffee maker and all major appliances, including a dishwasher, stove and refrigerator.
- Each kitchenette contains a complete table service and an assortment of pots and pans including a covered saucepan, frying pan, measuring cups and spoons, and basic cooking utensils.
- Bedrooms are equipped with extra-long twin beds, pillows, and bed linens. Bath towels are also provided.
- Cleaning supplies are provided (students are expected to clean their rooms upon check-out).
Coursework varies by elective. Please refer to the individual elective description for more information.
Students will be evaluated on clinical knowledge and abilities, self improvement, attitude, participation in casework/discussion, and professional/personal skills with animals, herd caretakers, and colleagues. In cases when students work with field personnel other than GPVEC faculty or the USMARC herd veterinarian, these parties may be consulted in deciding the final evaluation.
GPVEC is located at the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center (USMARC) approximately 5 miles west of Clay Center, Nebraska on Road 313 (State Spur 18D). GPVEC is the far west building of the USMARC main office complex.
Parking is provided free of charge for students in the parking lot in front of the GPVEC. Students are expected to park on the west side of the GPVEC Parking Lot.
Not at this time. If you need transportation from airports, look into a car rental.
The GPVEC Residence Hall is available for students at the rate of $100/week. To view pictures and a list of items available for students use, click here. Students are not required to stay in the residence hall and may make other accommodations.
Due to our location on the USMARC, pets and personal livestock are not allowed at any time at our facilities.
The GPVEC Residence Hall is for students use only.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) is committed to creating a safe, diverse and inclusive work and learning environment free from unlawful discrimination, harassment and violence.